Four times a day, a substantial snack is given to every Learner.
Two teams of volunteers, one for the morning and one for the afternoon, are in charge of preparing and cooking the food. The Program aims to improve the nutrition of our beneficiaries.
This program aims to give our beneficiaries the knowledge and skills to start a generating income activity so they can improve their living conditions.
Some examples of this program are soap making and basic culinary. Other important lectures are also being conducted like the financial education seminar that aims to teach effective budgeting and discussing the difference between wants and needs. Bracelet making - activity that can be learned during one of the sessions of the livelihood program.
HEALTH CARE PROGRAM
The aim of the program is to improve our learners' health condition in order to enable them back to school. Some have never been to school and others dropped out, not only because of financial challenges but due to health related problems as well.
Project objectives: Bring them Education in terms of health; Make them aware of their health status and accompany them when it is needed to get the adequate treatment; Prevent risk behaviors; Provide them basic health care; Improve their oral and dental health; Increase knowledge regarding HIV and STD.
The Healthy Smile Project
- Most of our beneficiaries lack education regarding dental health and the majority have never seen a dentist for consultation in their entire life
- Logically, some of them suffer oral problems, including bad breath, dry mouth, canker, cold sores, tooth decay, or thrush, which may result in physical pain or discomfort.
- In many cases, this leads to low self-esteem, particularly among the teenagers, and sometimes even affects their studies.
- However, all these oral and dental diseases are treatable with proper diagnosis and good oral hygiene habits.
- Early intervention with basic care, education for parents and children, plus distribution of oral hygiene supplies, can make a difference now and in the future.
- Thanks to our International network of benefactors and volunteers, we are able to organize visits to a dentist for those of our beneficiaries who need it and to provide them the adequate dental cares for free.
Puso sa Puso Edukasyon Inc. organizes Medical Missions for our beneficiaries by implementing partnerships with Caritas Novaliches and the Rotary Club Manila.
Since most of our beneficiaries can not afford to pay for a medical consultation, the idea is to provide them quality healthcare services for free, to enhance preventative care and to achieve long term and self-sustaining healthy communities in Parola and Payatas.
Free HIV Screening Test
The AIDS epidemic in the Philippines has been rapidly changing in the past five years. The increase in the number of new HIV infections is at a place the country has never seen before. From one new case every three days in year 2000, to one new case every three hours by the end of 2011.
Since the Philippines is at a critical point, Puso sa Puso edukasyon, Inc. has decided to join the efforts made by the Government and the International Community to be able to track the magnitude of the growing epidemic.
In this way, we systematicaly propose our beneficiaries (with the consent of their parents/guardians when they are under majority) and their families to undergo a Free HIV Screening Test to make them aware of their health status and we continue accompanying them after it whatever the results are.
MOTHER & CHILD PROGRAM
The program is an integration of the scientific practices of the stages of motherhood with Spirituality and Gospel Values.
Goal: To gain a holistic formation as young mothers: life-giving stewards who are: Knowledgeable, Responsible, Nurturing and Accountable.
As young mothers they:
- May be able to know God who is the Source of Life.
- May be given deeper consciousness and awareness of their identity and role as Stewards of the life entrusted to them through a regular monthly spiritual input.
- May gain knowledge on the basic steps of nurturing and care from conception to birth and after birth.
- May become accountable and responsible Stewards - mothers by updating themselves with basic knowledge on the care for children and family.